Excess coverage is written from January 1 (or the date of application) until December 31 of a given year. Changes that occur after January 1, or the firm's application date, are considered midyear changes. Firms are required to notify the PLF of some midyear changes (discussed below); however, firms are welcome to email us at firstname.lastname@example.org regarding any midyear changes (even when no action is required) and we will file a copy of that communication in the firm's record.
Firms are only required to notify the PLF midyear if:
- The number of firm attorneys more than doubles or decreases by more than 50 percent,
- The firm merges or splits,
- There is a change in any out-of-state branch office,
- A non-Oregon attorney joins the firm, or
- The firm or a firm attorney enters into an of counsel relationship with any other firm or attorney.